Sunday, January 29, 2012

Week 3 (my summary)

It was news to me that the digital divide is changing and that more African Americans and Latinos have access to the internet. And interestingly it's because of the use of cell phones, where most internet access is used for  "entertainment" purposes, not for what is considered empowerment.  So currently, it could be said the digital divide still very much in existence but it's viewed differently.  Today it seems it's more about educating others on how technology can help empower them as opposed to simply trying to get everyone access to digital technology.  Getting our community to understand that more and more job applications are being done on-line, or that higher education can be done outside the classroom through the internet in an on-line class.  The advancements in digital technology have brought the world to our finger tips and yet there still needs to be a place on the desk for technology.  Both with our students and their families.  I visit the Glendale Branch of the Marion County Library every now and then to pick up a book or get a DVD to watch.  I have noticed their computer lab is always packed, before this week I never really thought anything other than, "Boy am I glad I have my own internet access at home." Another thought I had reflecting on this is how we as educators can help in our schools.  I might be wrong here but I really think our students need to learn how to write with a computer.  And write in English, not text messaging language.  They need to understand how to navigate Microsoft Excel and Word, maybe even PowerPoint.  They need to learn how to hop on the internet and look up more than funbrain.com, but to really learn how to research information through the internet.  The digital divide isn't going to magically disappear, and we can help make sure empowerment is leading the way. http://voicethread.com/?#u2436331

No comments:

Post a Comment